Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Easier, More Efficent Modding (Read 4070 times)
BlueScreen
Ex Member

Easier, More Efficent Modding
Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I've been trying to mod my board and it's actually easier for me to mod the board manually then it is to setup the actual BoardMod software. I know that's probably not cool, but here's the deal. I was reading the steps on how to install and mod your board. TO MANY steps! Way to many. You should instead approach the modding like this... Instead of having to donwload the program - install it, back your files, etc. Just do this...

The program would be much easier if it would...

YOU: Type In Your FTP Info
Program: Connect To Your Site
Program: Automatically Backup Forum
Program: Mod Your Forum

This way you are not spending tons of time doing all of those extra steps... like donwloading different folders and all that. It's much easier if the program takes care of this utility type stuff for you.

Good Idea?

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Re: Easier, More Efficent Modding
Reply #1 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
That was planned for v3.0, but there is pretty much no development going on for boardmod right now. Another problem is that you can customize yabbs paths a lot. So there is no possibility to know where all the to download files are located.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

BlueScreen
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Will this project always remain like this? Is anyone going to start developing it, or has it lost popularity or something? I just started a forum with Yabb and I was impressed by it. Is there a funding issue or just interest in other forums or something?

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2007 at 11:18am
Print Post  
I'd say that there is still plenty of interest into yabb and yabb modding. The problem is that most of the senior members and developers have other important tasks now. When I started coding BoardMod I was in school and had plenty of time to spare. That's not the case any more nowadays.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

dOCdaS
God Member

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2007 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
well michael, why not set the path on ftp to the paths.pl then and just read the paths out of the file? so any edited paths are setup right! no? please program v3.0. i mostly forget to upload modified files or wonder which files are updated. Roll Eyes

i can fully understand you. haven't have much time since some years to code. there are so much more "projects" in my real life....

WWWICQ  
IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2007 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
Of cause you could read the path from that file. But it would still be more or less a hack since the format of that file could be altered, there is no guarantee that it will always have the same structure. Compared to other BBs yabb has a very flexible folder structure, so it a bigger deal here. Of cause it can be done and will probably be done, but I'm not very comfortable with it.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Unilat

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 2:04am
Print Post  
I would like to help Michael if you ever decide to get working on BoardMod again.

I have very good C# skills, and the BoardMod setups is relatively simple. New features would be nice such as AddAtLine, and like mentioned above, FTP access.

Although I do see the downside to FTP access. Downloading a new set of files makes errors less likely to happen on the production site.

WWWAIM  
IP Logged

chronicelite

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 11:30am
Print Post  
This would be an excellent addition to the board mod!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint