Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic First time mod user (Read 1728 times)
everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

First time mod user
Apr 11th, 2006 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Yes, I'm having issues with installing my first mod.  Yes, I read the FAQ and the lamers page on how to use the mod installer (and this should be rewritten, btw).

I am trying to install extended profiles 21 on my 2.1 YaBB. It's the normal version so I assume it's not Gold.

I downloaded BoardMod 2.5.5. and started reading http://www.boardmod.org/docs/boardmodforthebloodynovice.html

This is where I am having problems.

"Go to My Computer or Windows Explorer and make the directories (folders) as below:
YaBBbackup (or whatever you decided to call it)
     Boards
     Members
     Variables

After you've got your directory structure set up, use your FTP program (ex. CuteFTP or whichever one you're using) to connect to your remote server.
Once connected:
1. Download the following files from the cgi-bin\yabb folder on the server to the YaBBbackup folder on your hard drive:
English.lng
Settings.pl
template.html
YaBB.cgi (or YaBB.pl)"

It says to create the directories on my computer and I did that.  it then says to connect to my site and download those files.  It does NOT say

1) Where to find these files (in the many nested directories)
2) Where I should download them TO.  All to the same folder I made or in specific folders?

It says to do this for a backup and for the mod and I don't know what to do as it's very unclear.

I downloaded both /chat/ and /chatfiles/ with everything in them twice to my hard drive.

What do I do from here?

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Re: First time mod user
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
If you are modding a YaBB 2.x forum, the directory structure is going to be different than it was in YaBB 1.x (which is what that tutorial is working with).

If you are modding YaBB 2.x, the best thing to do is simply download your entire cgi-bin/yabb/ directory onto your harddrive somewhere.  If you really don't feel like dealing with all of that, then you will need to download at least the following:
cgi-bin/yabb/AdminIndex.pl
cgi-bin/yabb/Paths.pl
cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl
cgi-bin/yabb/Admin/*.*
cgi-bin/yabb/Languages/*.*
cgi-bin/yabb/Sources/*.*
cgi-bin/yabb/Templates/*.*
cgi-bin/yabb/Variables/*.*

Currently using Y2.3 With no mods (though that will hopefully change, soon).

Click Here To See A List Of All The Mods I've Written
IP Logged

everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your help.  Since it's for a different version, I am in need of more help.

I have two COMPLETE backups of my chat and chatfiles folder on my computer.  I'm trying to install a mod that doens't come with boardmod v2.5.5.  It tries to explain how I get a NEW mod to show up, but I don't understand what they are saying.

Also, if I am on board 2.1 do I select Yabb 2 RC1 on BoardMod?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Xavier

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 9:36pm
Print Post  
Create a folder in the boardmod\mods\ folder called YaBB 2.1 add the ExtendedProfiles.mod file to that folder. Open boardmod and navigate the file browser to the directory of your download forum. After opening the YaBB.pl/YaBB.cgi file select YaBB 2.1 folder from the right drop down list. Click the checkmark next to extended profiles and it will instead. Now upload the forum files back to the server as well as the files that came in the extended profiles zip package as per the folder structure in the zip file.

PLEASE NOT WHEN INSTALLING MODS HAVE YOUR FORUM IN MAINTENANCE MODE

Hope this helps

WWWYIM  
IP Logged

everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #4 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Hi.

Thanks for your help.  Where exactly should I create this mod/mod folder?  I'm looking in /chat/ and /chatfiles/ and I don't see a mod folder in either.  I see a Module folder but it has Perl modules in it.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 12:37am
Print Post  
I'm not sure what "/chat/" and "/chatfiles/" are (I'm guessing they came with the mod you're trying to install?), but you will want to make a new folder in your C:\Program Files\BoardMod\Mods\ directory (or whereever you have BoardMod installed).

When you open BoardMod, you should click on the little folder icon next to the textbox that says "Path to script", and locate the "YaBB.pl" file that you downloaded onto your harddrive.

Then, in the dropdown box on the other side of that folder icon, choose the folder that you created for your YaBB 2 mods.  You should then see the mod you are trying to install in the box below that.  If you click on the empty checkbox next to the mod you want to install, that should install the mod on your backed up files.

When you've applied the mod, then you should upload the modified files back to where they belong on your server (if you're not sure which files were modified, you can click on the dropdown box next to "Files to edit" and view which files will be modded).  Then, upload the files that came with the mod to their appropriate places.

Currently using Y2.3 With no mods (though that will hopefully change, soon).

Click Here To See A List Of All The Mods I've Written
IP Logged

everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 12:47am
Print Post  
/chat/ and /chatfiles/ are my yabb folders on my web server.

IP Logged

everydayteens

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 12:50am
Print Post  
Oh I see, the mod folder is in the ModBoard INSTALL and not my board install?  Okay, that is what got me lost to begin with.

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint