Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DeGoogle Sensitive Links Y2.1 (Read 2338 times)
Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

DeGoogle Sensitive Links Y2.1
Oct 18th, 2006 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
By request this mod will add the rel="nofollow" links to standard links on the board that could leave sensitive info in Google (like Send To a Friend, Profile, e-mail links etc...)

Mod updated !! all profile changes removed as they were already in there Wink
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2007 at 2:42pm by Administrator »  

DeGoogle.zip ( 1 KB | Downloads )

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

Carsten
God Member

...to much YaMS

Re: DeGoogle Sensitive Links Y2.1
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2006 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
All "viewprofile" links in YaBB 2.1 already has "nofollow" added in the "template" sub routine in Subs.pl

Code
Select All
$curline =~ s~(a href\=\S+?action\=viewprofile\;username\=.+?)(\>)~$1 rel=\"nofollow\"$2~isg; 

If you knock your head against a brick wall and hear a hollow sound, it's not necessarily coming from the wall.

IP Logged

Spikecity
God Member

Beer anyone ?

Re: DeGoogle Sensitive Links Y2.1
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2006 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Carsten wrote on Oct 18th, 2006 at 7:52pm:
All "viewprofile" links in YaBB 2.1 already has "nofollow" added in the "template" sub routine in Subs.pl

Code
Select All
$curline =~ s~(a href\=\S+?action\=viewprofile\;username\=.+?)(\>)~$1 rel=\"nofollow\"$2~isg; 

In that case the code is not working as none of the links containing profile info in a stock Y2.1 or even on the CVS code get's this added  ???

It's not so much the profile links that are at stake here.
Standard links to print page and send to a friend are googled too and contain the topic header, which in the case of the site complaining about this as they handle internet fraude using real person names, is a fact not to overlook.

I'll give you a real example (only with different names).

You post a thread with the topic "Mrs. X is cheating me out of my money" and only after 10 replies it all seems a big misunderstanding.

What happens is that this thread (incl. Send to a friend and Print Page links) is indexed by google and can be found by searching on "Mrs. X".

As said, big misunderstanding, no fraude, so thread gets either hidden or moved to the archive and will disappear in google as the page will be reindexed as topic not found, however.... the print and send to friend links remain valid and thus searchable in google forever, meaning that the topic claiming Mrs. X is cheating (actually now a false accusation) will be on the net forever.

Note to myself:
Perhaps not found threads should return a custom 404 page generated from within YaBB ?
At least this would have Google auto remove them based on 404 error.

Nothing to add here Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint