Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Some New BoardMod Features? (Read 5410 times)
Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Some New BoardMod Features?
Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
As I'm downloading BoardMod 2.5.5, I am also thinking of some nice feature requests for the next feature release of BoardMod.

As discussed before, it would be really nice to see BoardMod capable of handling multiple boards at once.  Rather than having to install three or four copies of BoardMod in order to mod three or four different boards, it would be nice if you could simply choose which board you wanted to mod when you open up BoardMod.

Here's a new one, specific to the integration of Y2:  It would be really cool if BoardMod did a very simple check for some Y2 mod-rule compatibility.  There are a few rules that have been laid down for Y2 mods, and I think it would be fairly simple for BoardMod to check some of those rules.

First of all, obviously BoardMod would need to be able to figure out whether you're installing a Y2 mod or a Y1.x mod, but that should be simple enough.

Then, BoardMod could check the mod to see if it includes an edit to the ModList.pl file.  BoardMod could also check for any edits to existing language files.

If the mod included edits to existing language files, or did not include an edit to the ModList.pl file, it should throw up a red flag saying something along the lines of "This mod does not conform to the YaBB 2 mod-writing specs.  Please inform the mod's author at the BoardMod forums."  You would then have a choice whether to continue installing the mod anyway, abort installation, or edit the mod to fix it yourself.

It might also be nice to make sure that the mod doesn't edit any files like Settings.pl, etc. (since Y2 mods are supposed to have their very own settings files), but that may take slightly more work than the other feature requests.

Edited:
Added the last paragraph, and made some minor format changes to make it easier to read
« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2005 at 1:32pm by Curtiss Grymala »  

Currently using Y2.3 With no mods (though that will hopefully change, soon).

Click Here To See A List Of All The Mods I've Written
IP Logged

Outumuro
God Member

Publisher - YaBB Toolbar

Re: Some New BoardMod Features?
Reply #1 - Oct 15th, 2005 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Great idea Curtiss.

If I could add one of my own.  The skin can be turned off by manually editing the .ini file, but why not add a check box (or some other method) to turn the skin on and off from within BoardMod?

Also when BoardMod is in the non-skinned mode (normal Windows mode) make the window and boxes resizable and savable.

Just some ideas. Wink

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Quote:
As discussed before, it would be really nice to see BoardMod capable of handling multiple boards at once.  Rather than having to install three or four copies of BoardMod in order to mod three or four different boards, it would be nice if you could simply choose which board you wanted to mod when you open up BoardMod.
That's already implemented in the BoardMod 3 develeopment code. But it's still a long way to go before this version becomes stable.

Quote:
Here's a new one, specific to the integration of Y2:  It would be really cool if BoardMod did a very simple check for some Y2 mod-rule compatibility.  There are a few rules that have been laid down for Y2 mods, and I think it would be fairly simple for BoardMod to check some of those rules.

First of all, obviously BoardMod would need to be able to figure out whether you're installing a Y2 mod or a Y1.x mod, but that should be simple enough.

Then, BoardMod could check the mod to see if it includes an edit to the ModList.pl file.  BoardMod could also check for any edits to existing language files.

If the mod included edits to existing language files, or did not include an edit to the ModList.pl file, it should throw up a red flag saying something along the lines of "This mod does not conform to the YaBB 2 mod-writing specs.  Please inform the mod's author at the BoardMod forums."  You would then have a choice whether to continue installing the mod anyway, abort installation, or edit the mod to fix it yourself.

I'd rather put this into the mod editor. That way the authors can fix things right away before even submitting mods. The upcomming mod database will have a review feature where you can check boxes like "mod dones't honor yabb modding writing guidelines" and you can even mark mods as "rejected" in case the mod is totally crap.

Quote:
If I could add one of my own.  The skin can be turned off by manually editing the .ini file, but why not add a check box (or some other method) to turn the skin on and off from within BoardMod?
Because the hole skin disable/enable thing was originally intended to be implemented in BM3 where you have a big options window where you can configure everything. I only backported it to 2.x because it was requested so badly.

Quote:
Also when BoardMod is in the non-skinned mode (normal Windows mode) make the window and boxes resizable and savable.
I agree with you, I was thinging about completely redoing the GUI anyway.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'd rather put this into the mod editor. That way the authors can fix things right away before even submitting mods. The upcomming mod database will have a review feature where you can check boxes like "mod dones't honor yabb modding writing guidelines" and you can even mark mods as "rejected" in case the mod is totally crap.

Those are both really good ideas.  I hadn't even thought of putting it into YaME, and the ratings at the mod database are a great idea, too.  However, if possible, it may still be good to put it into BoardMod somehow, as there are still a lot of mod writers that can't use YaME (unless you plan to port it successfully to *nix-based machines - in which I am including Macs).

I like the idea of the mod database ratings, but that won't catch all of the terribly non-compliant mods in the Beta section, unfortunately.  I finally upgraded my boards to 2.0 yesterday, and went to install a few mods, and found that there were a couple of betas that are just terrible.  They don't follow any of the compliance rules.  I plan to post about them in the beta mod topics, and might even re-write them if I have time.

Maybe BoardMod (the forums) should have a core staff that can help test out all of the beta mods and report on their compliance within the original topics somehow.  That might not even be a bad idea long before BM3 comes out.

I'm glad to see all of the things you have planned for BM3, Michael.  I really wish I could help in some way, but my programming skills are nil, unfortunately.   Tongue  If there's anything else you might need, though, just give a shout.

IP Logged

T3rrabug

I love YaBB  2 :D

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
(unless you plan to port it successfully to *nix-based machines - in which I am including Macs).

Lets found an "YaMe for Loony" initiative  Grin

Quote:
Maybe BoardMod (the forums) should have a core staff that can help test out all of the beta mods and report on their compliance within the original topics somehow.  That might not even be a bad idea long before BM3 comes out.

But where do you want to get the ppl from ? There arent much modwriters left. If you now give them other tasks,  mod development will s   l      o       wdown  Undecided

IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
T3rrabug wrote on Oct 16th, 2005 at 3:10pm:
But where do you want to get the ppl from ? There arent much modwriters left. If you now give them other tasks,  mod development will s   l      o       wdown  Undecided

They don't have to be mod-writers.  They could just be loyal BoardMod users.  All we would need to do is work up a simple little set of guidelines, teach them how to use YaME, and, from the guidelines that we write up, just about anyone could figure out which files are allowed to be edited and which ones aren't.

Heck, if we got that far, we might even be able to teach a few new people how to write mods.   Wink

EDIT - Besides, I didn't say the staff would actually fix the mods, they would just report the non-compliance.  If we had a big enough group, it wouldn't take anyone a long time to do it.

IP Logged

T3rrabug

I love YaBB  2 :D

Reply #6 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Quote:
They don't have to be mod-writers.  They could just be loyal BoardMod users.  All we would need to do is work up a simple little set of guidelines, teach them how to use YaME, and, from the guidelines that we write up, just about anyone could figure out which files are allowed to be edited and which ones aren't.

EDIT - Besides, I didn't say the staff would actually fix the mods, they would just report the non-compliance.  If we had a big enough group, it wouldn't take anyone a long time to do it.

I see... I think its a good idea  Cheesy
In this way I would volunteer.
I know some perl and im able to use YaMe, but im not confident enough to write a mod  Tongue

IP Logged

AK108
God Member

Reply #7 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I'd help out as my time allows for sure.

For my mods, check out my public notes.

You might be interested in my projects, or my forum, the Flying Kirby Pub.
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #8 - Oct 16th, 2005 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
AK108 wrote on Oct 16th, 2005 at 5:02pm:
I'd help out as my time allows for sure.

As would I, which is why I brought it up to begin with.

IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 10:21am
Print Post  
thanks a lot for your initiative! we established a mod-reviewer-team in 2002, actually. however it never went that far. basically a system to rate mods and let them pass or fail was missing. with michaels new mod database we would have such a system Smiley
afaik the old team members are not active here anymore.

the modtesting board was created for that purpose: http://www.boardmod.org/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=modtesting

IP Logged

astropilot
God Member

Reply #10 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Sign me up!

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."
Romans 1:16
---
http://www.ssflynn.com
www.flynnfarmsofkentucky.com

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
I'm glad that you made that suggestion Curtiss, as that is exactly what I'm planning todo. The new databases supports special membergroups: there will be a mod approval and a mod reviewing team. The approval team will check mods for dangerous code while the review team will examine if mods install fine on the YaBB versions specified, match the mod writing guidelines or if they have obvious bugs.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Curtiss Grymala
God Member

YaBB?... Y Not?

Reply #12 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm glad that you made that suggestion Curtiss, as that is exactly what I'm planning todo. The new databases supports special membergroups: there will be a mod approval and a mod reviewing team. The approval team will check mods for dangerous code while the review team will examine if mods install fine on the YaBB versions specified, match the mod writing guidelines or if they have obvious bugs.

Very cool, Michael.  That sounds like a really nice plan.

IP Logged

Outumuro
God Member

Publisher - YaBB Toolbar

Reply #13 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
Some great ideas in this topic.

Two others that could hopefully be added to the list. 
  • Buttons to View and Edit the install.log file.
  • Also the ability to right click on a mod in the mod list, and click "Add To Install Log", handy for those mods that were installed manually.

IP Logged

AK108
God Member

Reply #14 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Outumuro: Your second request is already done. Ctrl+Click on an item to mark it as installed (or uninstalled, if it was installed previously)

For my mods, check out my public notes.

You might be interested in my projects, or my forum, the Flying Kirby Pub.
WWWAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint