Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic yabb gold or yabbse? (Read 1804 times)
agusn2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

yabb gold or yabbse?
Apr 15th, 2003 at 11:30pm
Print Post  
i still can get the different between yabb gold SP version with YABBSE version. Can anyone telme the difference? but dont just tell me that one is cgi and other is php??

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Re: yabb gold or yabbse?
Reply #1 - Apr 15th, 2003 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Well even if you don't want to hear it, the diff is that the one is perl, the other is php Wink

Seriously, the idea behind YaBB SE was to port the perl version of YaBB to php with a mysql backend - end of story.

As a result of the mysql backend, YaBB SE is significantly faster than the text-based, perl version. There where discussions about YaBB SE vs YaBB in the past, just do a search if you're insterested into what's better for you.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

agusn2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1.2!

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2003 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
i read on other forum that php script is newer than cgi script. is that right? so can anyone suggest me which better? and please tell me how good it compare eah other (cgi vs php)? which is more powerful, safe, ect. thanks.

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2003 at 12:15am
Print Post  
> Is php newer than perl?
Perl existed before php did, if that's what you asked. If you want to know what's better from the webmaster's point of view... depending on who you ask, you'll get different answers. Both, perl and php have a lot of developers who keep working on their language, both get still updated.

> Is YaBB SE newer than YaBB?
Yes, since YaBB SE is a port of YaBB. But it still uses the same code structure and both are still releasing new versions so it doesn't really matter.

> which one is better?
In short: YaBB SE requires php and mysql. There are only a very few hosts offering this for free. The original YaBB does only require perl, there are a lot of free hosts for this. YaBB SE is faster because it uses a database backend. The original YaBB has a well organized modding site (this site here) and a mod database, offering hundrets of mods. YaBB SE does have mods too, but not that many yet and they keep their mods in a single board - not good organized (yet). What's best is up to you.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2003 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
nothing to add - but a lil' tip: try the search function of this board.
this question was asked very often and you'll find much answers and discussions.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint