Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) XML Version of mods (Read 4268 times)
[Unknown]

Re: XML Version of mods
Reply #15 - Dec 27th, 2002 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Exactly. We don't have need for "HTML" here. People are familiar with writing "text" rather than "html". Our aim is to make it as easy as possible for the user, NOT the programmer.

Think standardization.  Look at ini files, look at chm files.

Quote:
That's an interesting idea, however it only makes sence when you have real advantages compared to the old format. And I think that's the problem. Why would the tag support be better? Why parsing and error checking? The current format only requires VERY basic programming skills for writing a good parser.

You can open an xml file in IE, and it gives very friend and easy to read error messages.  Tag support is discussed in the mailing list - hte issue with starting on one line.

Quote:
Seeing the difference isn't a problem for a programmer. But what about the user who never saw XML, php or even perl?

Who's going to write a mod who hasn't seen those?

Quote:
As I said, only very basic programming skills are required to write a proper implementation.

lol

Quote:
You assume the user is a programmer, I don't! Sure, XML is easy, for sure easier than perl. But most users don't have clue about programming at all. Most barely know html! Just go through the support boards and look at the questions. They ask about the very basic and are unable to handle to smallest bit of programming themselfs. Of course there are exceptions, but still they are "exceptions". You can't assume the user is skilled in this field.

Okay I assume the user made the mod... any other user has no need to write a mod...

Quote:
Get some sleep, this topic won't run away so fast Wink

IP Logged

Administrator
Forum Administrator

Yummm

Reply #16 - Dec 27th, 2002 at 10:08pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Think standardization.  Look at ini files, look at chm files.
standardization is fine as long as it gives you more advantages than disadvantages.

Quote:
You can open an xml file in IE, and it gives very friend and easy to read error messages.
It's fine to have other programs to be able to check mod files for errors but what need is there for it when BoardMod can do the checking itself?

Quote:
Tag support is discussed in the mailing list - hte issue with starting on one line.
Are you refering to the ability to search for words instead of lines? If so then you should know that XML won't solve the problem here. Allowing word search will make a lot of mods uninstallable, think about it.

Quote:
Who's going to write a mod who hasn't seen those?
Please consider that not only mod writers install mods to their boards. As a matter of fact, mods have to be modified in several cases in order to work (mod conflicts). This has to be done by the user who wants to install the mod. It's important to make it as easy as possible for him. A hard-to-read and hard-to-edit format will make things worse.

Quote:
Okay I assume the user made the mod... any other user has no need to write a mod...
As I said, also "normal" users may have to modify mods in some cases.

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Tea-Master
Forum Administrator

Reply #17 - Dec 27th, 2002 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
As I said, also "normal" users may have to modify mods in some cases.

yep, there are indeed some ppl who install mods by hand but without knowledge about programming - and they don't need to since the .mod-files are so easy to understand for nearly every user!
not everyone wants to use or can use the boardmod-program to install mods and the idea is to give this great possiblities (which comes with installed mods) to every forum user.

IP Logged

[Unknown]

Reply #18 - Dec 28th, 2002 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
You could also have more than one search, like this:

Code
Select All
<search>
 <find type="add after">
  <![CDATA[stuff above..]]>
 </find>
 <find type="add before">
  <![CDATA[stuff below...]]>
 </find>
</search> 

Regardless of whether you want to 'go XML,' you could at least consider 'going' more XML.

Example:
Code
Select All
<edit file="filename">
<search>
text
</search>

<replace>
kdfjldsf
</replace>
</edit> 

(and optionally </edit file="filename">)

This would be clearer, wouldn't it?

-[Unknown]

IP Logged

Christer Alexander
God Member

Make my day...

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2002 at 1:24am
Print Post  
That last suggestion might be useful..with <edit file filename> <search>....</replace></edit file filename>

Code
Select All
unless(0) { stab("LoonyPandora"); next; } 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint